Thursday, December 3, 2009

Logisitics: Evolution of gear

In the three years that Julie and I have been backpacking together, we've managed to cobble together a pretty respectable collection of gear. We've got everything from sporks to stoves to headlamps to a spiffy little kit for spices and such in the backcountry. However, it was not always this way...

About 5 years ago, when I first started serious camping, I had nothing. On the first trip I went on without mooching off someone else, my friends and I headed to the Boundary Waters. We had no stove, no sleeping pad, and all our gear was packed into LUGGAGE. The kind of luggage with WHEELS. Also, there was about 3 times as much gear as we needed. It was a harrowing experience. We spent 6 hours portaging 2 miles, and when we finally got camp set up we were tired and starving, except with no stove we had to build a fire and slowly cook our food. And cooking over a fire takes FOREVER. We did bring a tent, which at least makes me better than Art.

I learned from that trip, however, and in future trips I made sure I had more than enough things to get me through a trip. However, this quickly lead to a critical mass of camping equipment that made me look like a very sad hobo:

canyonlands

Notice the 45 degree angle of my back.

So now, the key for Hobo Trip will be smart packing. We got two fancy new camp pads today (Thermarest ftw!) and a brand new pack for me (as my old pack cost 40 dollars, and worked about as well as you'd expect a 40 dollar pack to.) With a few more key purchases, we'll be set.

No comments:

Post a Comment